Why Sensory Bed Tents Help Children with Autism?
Parents with kids diagnosed with Autism know how hard some nights can be when he or she can’t sleep. There are countless reasons why an Autistic child may have trouble sleeping.
Luckily, there are helpful inventions designed to help calm the situation. One such invention is the sensory bed tents. So how exactly do they work and what makes them so effective? Read on to find out.
What is a Sensory Bed Tent?
A sensory bed tent is a place where the child can stay organised, relax, and calm down. It is a cool, well decorated, colourful, specially designed tent type of structure where the child can hide away whenever they want to be alone, when upset or when they are avoiding overstimulating situations.
Here, it is quiet and peaceful enough, especially for a child with autism. It can be where they go to rest during the day or what helps them sleep better at night.
What Makes a Sensory Tent Effective for an Autistic Child?
Many underestimate how powerful and effective a simple sensory tent is for an Autistic child. Here are some of the reasons that make sensory tents quite effective.
- It is their happy place. Emotional distress does more bad than good for an Autistic child. Developmentally, it can affect how well the child can process their feelings, communicate and self-regulate.
- Ideal for developmental milestones. Sensory bed tents double as play areas for Autistic kids. Play, in turn, helps increase nerve connections inside their brain. Eventually, the child is well able to handle complex tasks and advance in their learning process.
- It improves the kid’s senses and awareness. Sensory tents come in bold colours that Autistic kids find quite attractive. The fact that they want to look at it, touch it, rest and sleep inside it means that they end up developing awareness of their surroundings and senses like touch and sight.
- It helps support the development of major milestones. A sensory bed tent not only helps the Autistic child stay calm but also works to help them sleep better for longer. During sleep, the child’s brain grows to support memory, language and cognitive skills. The child also develops physically which keeps them from experiencing stunted growth.
- Autistic kids tend to remain antisocial as they grow older. A sensory bed tent can, therefore, work as a place where they can welcome their buddies for a bit of playtime. Here they end up building fine and gross motor skills by playing different games using different toys. They also improve social interactions and develop problem-solving skills
How to Make the Most Out of your Autistic child’s Sensory Tent
It’s easy to go online or inside an actual shop and ask to purchase a sensory bed tent. But there are ways for you to get more out of the tent than an ordinary user would. A well-set tent can give your child an easy time during sleep or when playing in their own imaginary world. Get the most out of your sensory bed tent by,
- Involving the kid in the shopping process so they can choose their favourite colour and design
- Spreading his or her favourite toys and stuffed animals on the bed to squeeze during sleep
- Consider installing a weighted blanket in addition to the bed tent. Weighted blankets have been proven to help Autistic kids improve their quality of sleep
A lot goes into raising a child with special needs. For an Autistic child, all it may take to get them to enjoy a better quality of life is a sensory bed tent. Hopefully, this post answers all your questions about sensory bed tents. Check SafeSleepSystems.com for Sensory Bed Tents for your Kids.